H-Area
Welcome in H-Area.tk.If you are already a member press log in...If you are a visitor the press sign up to join our community..Anyway have fun...!!!...
H-Area
Welcome in H-Area.tk.If you are already a member press log in...If you are a visitor the press sign up to join our community..Anyway have fun...!!!...
H-Area
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Learn the hacks you always wanted to learn and downlaod all the programs you need

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest News and Posts:Post your ideas to improve our community.
Latest member:socomguy1

PSP Custom Firmware Reference Guide

Go down 
AuthorMessage
JacobVengeance
Admin
JacobVengeance

PSP Custom Firmware Reference Guide Empty
PostSubject: PSP Custom Firmware Reference Guide   PSP Custom Firmware Reference Guide EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 5:39 pm

PLEASE READ:
Note: Sorry TA-088 V3 motherboards will not work. These are unpandorable.
These PSPs will ship with 4.00+ firmware.
If you are unsure if you're PSP is hackable or not, have a read through this.

If your completely new to custom firmware, or even the wonderful world of PSP, you should know a few things before using this guide:

* I am not responsible for anything that happens - including successful installation.. ;D
* If you follow this guide well, you shouldn't have any problems.
* If you are unsure about something, stop where you are and post your problem here.
* You should have basic PSP knowledge - such as how and where to place files on your memory stick.

This guide has everything you need to install custom firmware on your PSP. If you should have any problems or questions, please leave a comment. If you like the guide, leave some feedback. It's greatly appreciated. ;D Thanks for reading...

What exactly is 'custom firmware'?

1. To start, firmware is the 'operating system' that your PSP runs. Much like Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.

2. To install custom firmware (modified) will enable you to run unsigned software. This makes your experience limitless in that you can emulate classics such as NES, Sega, GBA, and so much more. You can also play 'homebrew', games and applications made by developers that aren't part of a major company. Not only that, but you can play PSP and PSone (PSX) backups straight from your memory stick without having to download them from PlayStation Network (PS Store). This is great because you can play a very large majority of your PSone classics, and backup your UMD's and play them.

What will we be doing to install custom firmware ?

1. We will modify and put specific files on your memory stick for the installation. The term for this is - magic memory stick or Pandora memory stick. This is completely 'reversible' and poses no threat to your memory stick.

2. We will be modifying your battery to let us go into service mode, allowing the installation of custom firmware, using the magic memory stick. The term for this is - Pandora battery. Depending on whether you use a software program to do this, or if you open up your battery and hard mod it, it is reversible if you follow procedure.

3. We will then use the two tools mentioned above to flash M33 firmware on your PSP, and follow all of the important safety measures available to ensure that you get the most enjoyment out of your custom firmware. Keep in mind that using this method does not pose a risk of bricking (internally damaging your PSP)

4. If all of this sounds confusing, please read the following guides. They'll help you understand everything better.
Custom Firmware Terminology
The Complete Newb Guide
Super Newb FAQ

[size=16pt]Preparing Our Tools[/size]

Magic Memory Stick

Note: You will want to use a 256 mb to 4 gb memory stick for the next process..

We will first be making your magic memory stick. For this process, we will be using a program that does all of our work for us. This program is called PSP Grader and is made by Klutsh at X-Projects. This particular version installs Despertar del Cementario v6 on your memory stick, allowing the installation of 5.00 M33 firmware. It is also compatible with Vista, XP, and 7. Download here.

If you have any PSP Grader specific questions, please ask at their forums. Feel free to ask any general CFW installation questions here. It's also worth noting that Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 is needed for this program. Grab that at Microsoft, unless you have Vista (preinstalled on there).

1. Extract the downloaded ZIP file.
2. On your PSP, format your memory stick (back it up if necessary) and enable usb mode.
3. Start PSP Grader .
4. Click Download if you don't already have a 5.00 ofw eboot.
5. Select your memory stick, customize your settings, and click Create Pandora Stick.

Note: If the PSP Grader keeps failing for you during MMS creation or CFW installation, try using an alternate installer. HERE is a DCv3 installer that should be used as a last resort. It installs 3.71 M33-2 which contains a flash writing bug so you should update away from it.

Pandora Battery

Now we will prepare our Pandora battery. There are many choices for this: you can run the OS Pandora Battery Tool if your on a homebrew enabled PSP to soft mod it (best method) - be sure to backup the EEProm before hand so that you can revert it back to normal. You can download that program here.

If soft modding isn't an option, you can open it up yourself and hard mod it. If your going to hard mod it, there are currently three methods you can choose, the best being the trace cut method. Please use one of these links:

* Standard Slim Battery (old guide - don't use - by Raziel36) - not recommended: Tutorial
* Standard Slim Battery (new guide - use this one - by JPness57): Tutorial
* > Note - with the above linked tutorial, you may want to skip step 6.A and go to 6.B for the track cut method
* Extended Life Battery (Fat Battery): Tutorial

Also be aware that if doing it yourself is out your league, you can purchase one of two tools. Go to Code Junkies, select your region, and enter the psp store. You can find these items:

* 'PSP Battery Service Tool' - a small component that soft mods any Sony battery and reverts it back
* 'PSP Max Power Tool' - a pre-hardmodded tool battery (available in fat or slim)

[size=16pt]Custom Firmware Installation[/size]

Installing
Once you have your modified battery & memory stick, you are ready to begin the installation.

\/ Please Read The Following Instructions Carefully \/

1. Take out any battery and insert your magic memory stick in your psp.
2. Insert your fully charged Pandora battery WHILE holding L (or whatever button you assigned).
- If it doesn't start automatically, just turn on the psp with the switch like normal.
3. You will see an XMB-like screen with several options.
4. First go to 'NAND Operations' and BACKUP the NAND (A few bad blocks are completely normal).
5. When finished, restart choose 'Install 5.00 M33'.
6. When that's finished, restart.
* - You can now use a normal battery, or convert your Pandora back to normal. (Step 9 below) - *
7. After entering your information, go straight to USB mode and copy your NAND backup to your computer.
8. You now have a secure custom firmware PSP!

Post - Installation

9. If you did the trace cut method to hard mod your battery, fill in the trace again with a #2 pencil.
10. If you softmodded your battery, you can now reverse it by using the same program you used to mod it.
11. When your completely finished and you don't plan on using Time Machine or another IPL, you can format your memory stick to make it function normally again (recommended - some games are reported to lag on an MMS).

[size=16pt]Extras[/size]

Dark~Alex's Website - creator of custom firmware, tech genius, source for m33 updates
Cory1492's Blog - technical genius, lots of great apps for your PSP
lan.st - a great resource for information about the PSP

[size=16pt]F.A.Q.[/size]

Q: How can I give back to the homebrew community?
A: You can stay here and help people who are new to psp, and you can give me some feedback.

Q: How do I unbrick my PSP?
A: By using Pandora to reinstall the custom firmware (follow the tutorial again)

Q: What are some safety precautions of modding my PSP?
A: Make sure to follow my guide step by step, make a NAND backup before hacking, transfer your NAND backups to your computer for safe keeping, and remember that a dedicated magic memory stick is useful, or always having a way to remake your magic memory stick.

Q: Do I need a CFW PSP to make a magic memory stick?
A: No.

Q: I have a different MMS program, can I use it?
A: Yes.

Q: I have a memory stick, but it is fake. Can I use it for the installation process?
A: It may or may not work. You'll have to try it first if you don't have any other memory stick.
Back to top Go down

PSP Custom Firmware Reference Guide
Page 1 of 1